[rescue] Interactive Unix?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 14:47:46 CST 2001

Hmmm...fact check says "bzzt":

  http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/Interactive/

As of 1996, Sun was still selling IU and admin
guides to it:
  http://sunsite.ccu.edu.tw/books/books/Stewart/Stewart.html

Reading between the lines, and based on what I
remember (with some help from e-mails from Bill),
here are some opinions disguised as fact:
  - Sun ported SunOS (4.x originally, IIRC) to
	the 386i, but the port always had issues
  - Sun bought Interactive UNIX from Kodak, and
 	used its device handling/kernel shtuff as
	inputs into the x86 SunOS/Solaris port.
  - By the time Solaris 7/x86 rolled around,
	it was almost usable.  By then, though, other
	*IX operating systems on Intel hardware
	had surpassed it in most important ways--
	unless your primary concern was source
	code compatibility with Solaris/SPARC.

Hey, at least it wasn't Intergraph UNIX...which is
what I was also admin-ing in 1990 at about the
same time as I was running a Sun 386i.

Anyone have any specifics to counter any of the
above?  I'll freely admit that my memory is
fallible, and I'd love an education on this.

  --Rip