[rescue] Alternatives to BIND?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 9 13:05:15 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, December 8, 2001 at 22:22:51 (-0500), Steve Sandau wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Alternatives to BIND?
>
> You make some very good points. As a non-programmer end-user, though, I
> might be interested in whether someone (with abilities I don't have!) is
> still working on improving/fixing the project. If it is useful as is,
> that's good; I may use it, but if it needs work, I like to know that
> someone is working on it. If it's not useful as is, and noone is
> activvely developing it, I'll be less interested. (That is definitely
> due to my lack of ability in C.)

Yes, I agree.  That's sort of what I was trying to say in part too.

If something needs work before it meets your specific requirements then
it's less interesting than something else that already does meet your
requirements (assuming there is an alternative available).  But of
course there are many variables to consider.  If you do have the
resources to implement missing functionality (be that by yourself, or by
hiring a programmer) then it may still be worth considering an
incomplete package over a complete, but perhaps over-blown, one.
Obviously the plans of an author or maintainer can figure in here too --
if a new release of the package might soon be available and if it will
meet your needs, then knowing this can also greatly affect your decision
making.

Note I've tried to avoid the mixing of freeware and proprietary software
in the same decision making process, but that's really only because I've
come to consider having source code is a mandatory first requirement and
getting source, even in escrow, for most proprietary software is either
impossibly expensive, or downright impossible.  I.e. for me there is
nothing but freeware.  However for someone with well defined costs and
budgets and forecasts and a sound understanding of their own needs the
possibility of using propritary software must often mix into the
picture.  Sometimes it is best to pay someone else to do something for
you, and perhaps sometimes when those other people have built their
business on selling and supporting proprietary software.

> I'm not greedy. I can't believe the amazing things that folks code and
> make available for free. I have no right to expect anything of any
> author who makes his work available via GPL or similar. But it is nice
> to know where a project might be heading. If I could write more than
> "hello world" in C, I would feel differently. ;) But right now, I am
> dependent on peope who actually *write* software for making things work.

I agree entirely with your sentiments, and that's why as a programmer I
do try to contribute some of my own skills back to the community!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods