[rescue] HAL HS-330

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 8 16:21:03 CST 2001

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 10:05:45AM -0600, Eric Hall wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I won a HAL HS-330 at an auction. Does anyone know where I can find
> > any information on this beast? I bid on it in a moment of weakness,
> > never dreaming I'd get it for next to nothing. I guess running a BSD
> > on it is out of the question, so I will probably end up taking it apart,
> > for the drives and memory. Are these parts compatable with any other
> > workstation? ANY info appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Eric H
>
> Its basically a SPARCstation 20 clone in a funky pyramidial case.  CPUs
> are mBus, expansion slots are SBus, RAM should be the same as a SS20,
> hard drives are SCSI, etc.. will run "normal" solaris.

No, you are thinking of a ROSS hyperstation. The HAL's were based on the
1st 64bit SPARC implementations (SPARC/64). They were released during the
same time as the sparcstation 20. But they are absolutely not compatible
with any SUN workstation. They have SBUS though. HALStations will not run
"normal" solaris.