[rescue] HAL HS-330

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 8 16:17:47 CST 2001

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Eric Hall wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I won a HAL HS-330 at an auction. Does anyone know where I can find
> any information on this beast? I bid on it in a moment of weakness,
> never dreaming I'd get it for next to nothing. I guess running a BSD
> on it is out of the question, so I will probably end up taking it apart,
> for the drives and memory. Are these parts compatable with any other
> workstation? ANY info appreciated.

The HAL is almost compatible with nothing out there. The memory comes in
small square memory boards, and their form factor are HAL specific. The
Processor is not 100% SPARCv9 compliant thus it can not run plain solaris.
You must get SPARC/64 OS, which I think is based on Solari 2.5 (ugh!). It
uses standard sun Keyboard/mouse though. The OS is a bitch to get
though... but it should be able to run most Solaris 2.5 programs
unmodified.

Pretty neat machine (the case is one of the most beautiful ever made IMHO,
so at least it can serve as a decoration item).

Cheers.