[rescue] Spaceballs.

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 8 02:15:51 CST 2001

>Also, changing color spaces altogether (say from YUV or HSV to RGB) is also
>just another matrix multiply.  This means that I don't need to do a lot of

Does that matrix operation also translate the cubic RGB color space into a
hexcone for HSV?  I'm having trouble visualizing some of the possible color
space system transforms as 3d geometric transforms.

>Now other areas for color work would be using FFTs on them.  I've long
>understood FFTs in the context of sound, but I'm slowly getting a handle on
>what they mean in the context of graphics.  FFTs can be used for interesting
>effect for picking the detail of an image appart from the shading.
Basically,
>(I got this from an article in a game programming magazine interestingly), I

Was the game developer article a couple of months ago discussing image
compression with digital filters to keep edge detail?

>can use a FFT to split an image into to layers, a high frequency layer,
and a
>low frequency layer.  The two layers summed are the original image.
However,
>now I can edit them seperately for interesting effect.

Now extend the idea of a transform to your 3d color space of a scene...what
does that look like?  Interesting...I'd never really considered a 3d FFT,
much less whether it can be meaningfully applied to a color space.

newell