[rescue] Alternatives to BIND?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 21:47:58 CST 2001

[ On , December 7, 2001 at 14:01:02 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Alternatives to BIND?
>
> If there is no traffic on the mailing list, and no replies from the
> maintainer, it might as well be abandoned.

I think you may misunderstand how free software and volunteer projects
work.  Nothing's ever "abandoned" unless the author says so.

>  If you want anything done
> with it, you're going to have to do it yourself (bug fix, tiny feature
> change, whatever).  Now, if you -really- want it done on a maintained
> project, you may have to do it yourself, but you have a chance to have
> somebody else do it if you can wait.

Yea, and that's _always_ possible, regardless of how high or low
something is on the author's or current maintainer's priority list; and
of course assuming you or someone you can influence directly has the
skill set.  Before the days of Linux and GNU Autoconf almost everyone
managing any system knew enough about software maintenance to at least
port something to their systems and hopefuly fix any bugs that got in
their way too.

In other words the lack of publicly visible activity in any given
project is not grounds for ignoring it.

(I've made releases of my software as infrequently as only once every
2-4 years or so! :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods