[rescue] Spaceballs.

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 18:12:58 CST 2001

No, the one that I have is older (though it follows that general
form factor.)  Mine was originally intended to connect to one of
the DIN powered serial ports present on the SGI Professional and
Power series VME boxes... it has a DB9 connector on the bac.

 There is virtually no documentation on the pinouts for this
critter on the web, so before I could actually get it to work
on an Indigo2/Irix 6.5, I had to disassemble it and trace out
the power regulator circutry so that I could build
a converter cable which would allow me to insert the required
power into the spaceball. Once it had sufficient power, and
I _finally_ got the pinouts right (again, I had to trace out
the rs232 driver chips and do a little bit of detective/guesswork)
I was finally able to get it to pass the spaceball test in IRIX.

At some point, I'll document this on my web page (which is in
dire need of an update and re-hosting (currently Geocities..ecch!)
since all the posts I read on this critter suggested that this
particular trackball wouldn't work under anything newer
than a system running IRIX 5.3

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com