[rescue] Spaceballs.

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 16:40:09 CST 2001

A spaceball constituted one of the first mass-market attempts to
provide a 6-degree-of-freedom input device, analogous to the
2-d mouse, for use in 3-d applications.  It consisted of a ball,
(usually about the size of a small orange) mounted on a stick
(which was affixed to a base of some sort which also provided
a number of push buttons).  The idea was that you could
navigate through 3-d space by twisting/lifting/pressing on the
ball in various combinations to orient yourself in space.
Many of the balls also had a "hidden" button embedded within
the ball itself which you could activate by squeezing/pressing
on the ball just right...

Interesting approach, but I don't think it ever really caught
on... there were a number of later spaceballs that hit the
market for PC games (space-orb?) but I don't think they sold
very well.

To this day, I don't believe the problem of easily positioning
yourself in a 3d-space has been adequately solved (or at least
not solved to the extent that an easy/intuitive I/O device on
par with the 2-d ease of a mouse or trackball has not been
developed).

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com