[rescue] ARGH. KVMs (and uptime/downtime)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 12:07:07 CST 2001

I've heard good things about Apex, so I just picked
one up on eBay for $30 (4 port, switch systems on
front panel only).  I'll file a report when it
gets here, if it Doesn't Suck.  (For $30, I'm not
really expecting much.)

We've got Belkin and Cybex boxes that (as you already
know) suck even when you put fancy ferrite-beaded
video cables on them.

ObSun:
Usually I find it more interesting to look at the huge
uptimes on Sun and other boxen...but just now I booted
up an LX that was acquired in a box of other kit, and
got:

 "clock gained 1502 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!"

and I don't think that's a mistake based on the vintage
of other gear in the same box, and access times for files
in /etc.  Now that's some *serious* downtime...

  --Rip