[rescue] Fun new virus out there - subject line of "Hi!"

Phil Schilling rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 5 19:47:47 CST 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> Wha?
>
> Preview pane is *nearly* safe, or, for "The Princess Bride" fans, it is
> "only Mostly Safe"
>
> Ken

<snip>
Ken,
	The preview pane does open the email.  It has to open it to show you
what is inside.  Malicious code may be passed without the opening of an
attachment.  There was a virus in the last year or so that would use the
win*.dat extensions that outlook and outlook express use to run the code
without your needing to open an attachment.  I have to deal with windows
desktops everyday and the one of the first things we do is shut off the
preview pane and then change the default?? (whatever the fsck m$ calls
it) file properties to open .vbs .scr .exe and the like with the notepad
application.  You can get infected on a windows machine by using the
preview pane. Hopefully you are running outlook* on something besides
windoze and it is all moot point 8-)

Phil

--
Phil Schilling