[rescue] Drives for old Clariion array?

David Passmore rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 5 15:23:20 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:41:42PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> can someone give me specs on what larger (than 500meg) drives I can
> drop into one of the 2000-series DG/EMC Clariion arrays?

I've been doing a LOT of research on these. I own two now (an SGI-badged
Challenge RAID, and a real 2800). My objective has been to find the latest
LIC/FLARE code for both the Phoenix (PowerPC) and Sauna (AMD) service
processors and find spare SPs.

The Challenge RAID sucks because I can't replace disks in it; it requires
drives with SGI firmware. I /have/ the drive firmware, but it only applies
to IBM DHCS 4GB and 9GB drives, and I don't know if you can apply it to new
drives, or only to drives with downrev SGI firmware, since I don't have any
new drives. It has Phoenix SPs, one of which is bad.

The C2800 is a different story. It has a Sauna SP, and I have regular
Clariion LIC code for it (an older version; 6.45). It came with 500MB
drives, but when I put in a 4GB Seagate 15150N, it says it is 'unsupported',
but will bind it as a LUN anyway. The 4GB drive now contains the LIC code (I
bound it as a mirror with the 500MB drive that originally had the code,
which copied the code, then unbound it) and I'm booting the array from it.
It seems to work fine, though it is currently the only drive in the array.
I'm hunting down larger drives to try, like 9GB and 18GB sizes.

If anyone has a 2000-series non-OEM array with Phoenix or Sauna SPs, please
let us know what LIC/PROM revisions you have.

Thanks,
David