[rescue] Fun new virus out there - subject line of "Hi!"

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 5 07:52:45 CST 2001

> You are correct. At least one of the recent virii would execute in the
> preview pane. The only way to deal with it (if forced to use Outlook by
> corporate policies -- I know the feeling) is to set all email to be in
> your most untrusted security zone and make sure that all script execution,
> file downloading and anything else is turned off. Oddly enough, that
> leaves you with an Outlook that functions almost exactly like Pegasus
> mail, but we will never convince people to switch to a client that doesn't
> have the script execution abilities ("It may be essential to an
> application we build in the future.")

The biggest problem is that lookout, er, I mean Outlook, was designed for the
click and drool clueless masses. They could at least have the default install
not allow anything to execute. But then I guess that would prevent you for
viewing the dirty cartoons your best friend sends everyday. Or at least make it
so you would acctually have to open the picture yourself.

*/sigh/*

Mike N