[rescue] Alternatives to BIND?

R. Lonstein rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 20:44:52 CST 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:33:42AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On December 4, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Any suggestions for a lightweight alternative to BIND? I
> > would look at djbdns, but for his "must install my
> > daemontools and svscan and this and that..." policy...
>
>   Real nameservers run BIND, dudage. I *know* you know
>   that. ;)

Not necessarily. Once you get past, well, DJB himself and a lot of
expectations on how things are done, the software is really good. I know
you're half kidding but I thought I'd name a few places mentioned in the
djbdns discussion list that run it:

    ticketmaster.com
    citysearch.com
    match.com
    evite.com
    ads.tmcs.net
    doubleclick.com
    francexpress.com

The first five are reported to handle 70 million requests per day. Mike
Batchelor has stated that he has 5000 domains running off tinydns (the
authoritative server component) and I tend to believe it. The separate
components, one task each, and doing away with the master/slave scheme
makes sense to me. I also found it relatively easy to set up but dumped
it after a few weeks at work (still have it at home) because every
decent SA has some knowledge of BIND but nearly no one knows about
djbdns and wrangling with the /service stuff. Oh well.

There is also a DNS server shaping up at http://www.maradns.org/. I
haven't tried it other than to download and compile it as yet, but it
looks good and is approaching a version 1.0 release.

- Ross