[rescue] low end Suns as telephone <--> IP devices?

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 21:28:45 CST 2001

> Let's say that I have to communicate with people in another country on a
> regular basis.  Normal phone calls to this place are expensive, but
> unlimited net access IS available.

I've not seen it done with Sun machines, but if you're willing to go the
(*GACK*) PC route, you can use either a Quicknet PhoneJACK or a Linux
Support Services Wildcat XP-100 card.  The PhoneJACK acts like a phone
line...you plug phones into it.  The Wildcat card acts like a phone, you
plug a phone line into it.  You can make it all work with AsteriskPBX...an
open source PBX from asteriskpbx.org

I'm working on a similar project myself...but on a much bigger scale.