[rescue] 220R and 2.6

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 12:10:20 CST 2001

Just a follow-up on this for the archives...

I was trying to install (and use) Solaris 2.6 on
a 220R with 450MHz procs.

- Solaris 2.6 release did not even ok> boot cdrom successfully.
- Solaris 2.6 5/98 installed but when the os boots and tries
to initalize the hme ports, they loose link state.  Network
is unusable. I was using serial console but other people
report keyboard errors too.

- The problem is the larger (8M) cache on the 450MHz+ procs.
- the command ok> limit-ecache-size will temporarally fix this
problem, but that command only exists on roms >= 3.2.21.  I did
not have that command.
- Installing from the Operating Environment Installation CD
will fix the problem, but I did not (at that time) have that CD.

- From another machine, I downloaded the latest 2.6_Rcommended.tar.gz
patch set, burned it on a CD, installed it on the 2.6 box
and that fixed the problem permanently.

This is the best part:
I noticed that when I inserted the CD, vold spewed
some errors *and the link came up on both hme ports*.
If that is reproducable (and it was on this machine),
you could insert any CD to get the network up, and
download the patches that way. (ROTFL)

Finally, After everything was working, I found an OECD in my
basement.