[rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 10:05:46 CST 2001

> Are they really from bullets?  Maybe they are from an air rifle, or
> maybe a paint ball gun shooting frozen balls or marbles..... without
> being cranked up too high, because if it were cranked up they would go
> through I have heard.

Naw, frozen paintballs would *hurt* but they couldn't penetrate steel.
Average muzzle velocity is about 300ft/sec - most paintball guns can't
exceed about 330ft/sec.  Try to crank up the velocity higher than that and
you might blow the paintball (frozen or not) apart before it exits the
barrel.

Aside from that, a frozen paintball would (very likely) not even fit down
the barrel of a paintball marker.  The tolerances are pretty close, and
since that paintball will expand as it freezes, the caliber of a frozen
paintball would more than likely exceed the bore of the barrel.

Marbles from a paintball gun are an urban legend.  The diameter of a marble
is far to small for the .68 caliber bore of a paintball gun's barrel.  That
means, poor air seal around the marble and a very low muzzle velocity -
somewhere around 175ft/sec according to the chrono in my garage (yes, I
tried it :).  Add to that, the friction of the glass material

I suppose you could manufacture an acrylic or resin marble of appropriate
caliber, but you'd never get a stock paintball gun to fire it at sufficient
muzzle velocity to penetrate the steel skin of a car.  Shatter glass, yes,
but not penetrate steel.  The mass*momentum simply wouldn't be sufficient to
do the job.

Kurt