[rescue] SPARCcluster 1?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 2 15:26:12 CST 2001

> Of course, the ideal would be a home SAN, but I'm not going to be able to
> afford one of those for a long, long time.

why not??  cause you wanna make it outta fiber?  sure, that would be cool, but
you can very easily build a SAN out of stuff you have now.  sure, NFS is pretty
evil, and maybe not the most stable thing around, but at work they have a SAN
that is nothing more than a private 100M ethernet segment on a nice fast switch
and a NetApp.  sure, you don't have the NetApp, but any NFS server will do.
just the NetApps a little better cause they F******* RULE.  anyway, it's not
so unreasonable to use ethernet for a SAN.  just keep that in mind before you
are so quick to give up on the idea.

although personally i'd use FDDI, but that's just me.

-brian