[rescue] SPARCcluster 1?

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 2 08:51:07 CST 2001

> So, I find that Oracle approved it.  Err, does this mean that Oracle is
running
> off of NFS shares?  I was under the impression that NFS was supposed to be
> pretty bad, and something that could potentially have serious problems
(like
> reusing the numbers it used for file IDs, etc).  Was I underestimating
NFS, or
> what?

AFAIK, Oracle only approve the use of NFS with Solaris/Sparc and a Network
Appliance Filer.  All you really have to do is mount with some flags, tell
the Filer that you're using it as a database repository, and NetApp suggests
that you use dedicated NICs and a crossover cable between the Oracle server
and the NetApp.

It can be done - we're doing it now in fact.  It's a low budget way
(relatively speaking) to get serious database capacity without dumping huge
amounts into SAN or direct attach disk shelves.  And - it's supported by
both NetApp and Oracle.

Kurt