[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem service...

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 22:39:29 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, December 1, 2001 at 19:09:42 (-0800), David Passmore wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem   service...
>
> @Home didn't 'dream' of providing services at that price point forever. The
> failure to renegotiate those contracts for a favorable revenue-sharing
> agreement is the problem.

Hah.  The only way the big cable companies would have gone is down --
i.e. they'd never pay more for what amounts to less.

I don't know what it was like down in the States, but up here Rogers had
to provide their own tier-1 support no matter what they paid @Home for.

Furthermore it seemed as though someone was squeezing down on local
peering arrangements, and in a region of the network like much of
Canada, it's imperative that high-speed providers do local peering.  No
matter what anyone thinks, they can't host all the content all of the
time, and if you have to haul your packets to California and back to
access other local content things start to suck real bad (or even worse
-- sometimes I saw stuff go to New York before heading back here!).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>