[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem service...

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 20:56:19 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, December 1, 2001 at 12:17:39 (-0800), David Passmore wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem   service...
>
> It's pretty sad, really. I can't say @Home is blameless for letting
> itself get into this position, but this whole thing could end *right now* if
> the cable companies would stop being greedy and revise the revenue sharing.

@Home should never ever have even dreamt of trying to provide those
kinds of services to the cable companies.  That kind of economy of scale
simply does not ever work.  It simply cannot and the death of @Home is
the final concrete proof.  The "greed" of the cable companies, while
very real, has nothing whatsoever to do with why @Home failed.

Not to mention but that getting into bed with even just one large cable
company is like sleeping in a pit of angry vipers -- trying to sleep
with a whole continent's worth of them is, as they say, a "no-win
situation".

(Note I'm not just a bystander, or just a cable modem user, as I've done
contract work for Rogers, helping them back when they were building
their own infrastructure; and I do network & systems and work for a
couple of other small cable companies who've done just fine on their
own.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>