[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem service...

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 20:46:26 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, December 1, 2001 at 03:45:36 (-0800), bran tregare wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem   service...
>
> actually, at&t doesn't even have email servers of their own yet :(  @ home
> is providing the servers that actually run the whole shebang, at at t only is
> providing the wire and the bidirectional datapath... they are currently
> building their own network infrastructure so if @ home shuts down they can
> switch the users over to their system...

AT&T must be pretty lame operators -- even Rogers Cable was able to get
almost everyone switched over to their new DHCP servers, mail servers,
etc.  Some folks apparently had problems, but my own conversion went
pretty flawlessly (though I didn't find out the assigned password to my
new mailbox until almost the last minute).

Of course I only use the cable modem for web browsing and as a back door
in case our main aDSL connection goes down....  :-)

I'll bet though the operators like Rogers who had originally built their
own infrastructure before they got in bed with @Home are pretty pissed
off at all the wasted overhead they've had to eat....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>