[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem service...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 18:20:44 CST 2001

See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Passmore" <dpassmor at sneakers.org>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem
service...

> <RANT>

> Those of you who may end up being transitioned to other networks-- if
> does not survive this, or if your cable company transitions you anyway,
> switch to another medium. It's taken us 6 years to get this right (serving
> always-on ethernet-speed consumers is an engineering feat in many ways)
and
> although the cable companies have stolen much of our technology from
> 'inspecting' our operations dozens of times, don't expect them to get it
> right for a while.
>
> </RANT>

I preserved the RANT & /RANT tags to keep your comments in perspective, but
I'd like to comment that I agree, if @HOME goes under, the lucky company
that buys the assets will be the only winner - be that AT&T, Comcast, Cox,
whomever, IMHO.

HFC rollouts are non-trivial, the only other major roll-out that was
successful (AFAIK) was MediaOne, but they were Telco people, not Cable TV,
so they came at the problem from a different perspective...

Ken