[rescue] SSA Problems

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 00:28:48 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:31:55PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> In-house streaming video server?

1-2 hundred gigs would probably do fairly well for that.  I don't think that I
would want to base it all of of an SS1k, but an SS1k would be somewhat useful
still.  Lets see:

Several Athlon machines with video capture cards and raid 0 IDE for capturing
the video.  We need enough so that not all the machines are capturing at all
times so that the video can be recompressed to high quality MPEG4.  We would
want to use lossless compression for the initial recording, or course.

Then, the athlons could transfer the resulting video files to the SS1k, which
would stash them on permenantly.  Presumably the 24+ gigs of disk would just
be spooling space for the attached tape robot.

Of course, if one didn't strickly need the network streaming, and they could
afford the extra capacity of MPEG2 instead of 4, then they could invest in
additional athlons with multi chanel MPEG2 decoders (used for video on demand
in hotels to my understanding), and a serial controlled switcher for video on
demand to normal video monitors.

Why IDE?  Because it is cheap, it is fast enough, and since it is really just
scratch space here, the reliability is probably good enough.  Why athlons?
Because I bet they are faster for video encoding than the Netras (though I
could be wrong, although there are plenty of encoders that are MMX and 3DNow
optimized, but I don't know of any that are VIS optimized).

--
Joshua D. Boyd