[rescue] What's It Worth? SS10/224MB RAM/2GB/CG3

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 22:50:34 CDT 2001

<playing lawyer>
Define "open market"--do you mean, "I'm selling
it on eBay, and stating no warranty", or do you
mean, "I'm selling it to a friend and agreeing
to help fix it if goes TU."
</lawyer>

I recently sold a Tatung SS10 clone with dual SM51s,
128MB RAM, 5.5GB disk, TGX (CG6), 17" monitor, keyboard
and mechanical mouse, for about $230 to a co-worker...
but that also included my pre-sale time to get Solaris
8 and Debian 2.2 installed and fully configured, and
the agreement that I would "support" post-sale.

In the end, even though I got the system cheap
a few months back, I lost money based on what I
really cost per hour.  Then again, I considered
it a worthwhile investment to get one more person
into using a SPARC at home.

On eBay, even knowing that some of that RAM is
64MB DSIMMs, the system's only worth about $50-$70
tops based on what I've seen.  If you're looking to
sell it and you're trying to maximize return on
components, part out the hard disk, SM51 and the high
density memory, and then sell the base with the
remnants.  Four auctions, you might clear $100.

Sad but true.  The only people who really "win"
on eBay anymore seem to be UPS/FedEx/USPS.

  --Rip