[rescue] Biggest Drive usable in SS5?

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 18:10:48 CDT 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> >  I have an old SS5, that I got surplus from work, for the price
> >  of 3 loaves of banana bread.  Only has a 1 Gig drive, which is
> >  pretty sorry for a web/email server. Will ANY 80-pin SCA drive
> >  work in this box, or are there size limitations?
>
> AFIK, any HALF height sca drive will work.  Full height drives might
> only work in the top connector on the SS5, but you won't be able
> to put the lid on.
> There may be some heating problems associated with high-rpm drives,
> if you stick two in, I have heard.

A full height SCA drive will fit in a SS5, it just needs the top connector
removing (twenty minutes with soldering iron and pliers), and then the lid
will fit on.

My solution to the heat problem when running a high-rpm drive was to add a
fan sucking air across the top of the drive and out of the [empty] cd-rom
bay.

> Actually, running NetBSD, you could make a fine web/email server

If you can't be bothered with BSD, you could try Debian (www.debian.org).

Installation to do the above should come to about 80MB, leaving you plenty
of room, even after swap.

Paul