[rescue] nuking from orbit

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 18:05:13 CDT 2001

> >"Several manufacturers are currently engaged in moving their
> >peak-detection-based product lines across to PRML, giving a 30-40%
density
> >increase over standard RLL channels. "
> >
> >Yeah, like this is anywhere even CLOSE to current information... (see
above
> >quote)
>
> George, what year do you think Seagate, IBM, etc. stopped using RLL and
> went with PRML-only on all their drives?  Care to make a guess?

How about when PRML became widely used on drives of current manufacture
(rather than tying this to some absolute date on an obsolete drive...)

IBM 0662's use it, as well as DHFC's and anything bigger than 1 gig.
Seagate 'Cudas, and IIRC the Hawk2's 1 gig and later useit as well, although
it may be listed among the specs as RLL(0,4,4). I don't think either one
would have used RLL(1,7) or RLL(2,7) in any drive designed after 1995.

In other words, the MIDDLE OF THE LAST DECADE.