SGI Prices Tanking (Was: Re: [rescue] nuking from orbit)

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 15:56:20 CDT 2001

> > shipping, including keyboard and mouse.  The prices on SGIs have really
> > cratered recently.
>
> I think you mean "getting in touch with reality" recently.

Part of the problem, I think, is that SGI is still recognized as the
"special effects computers".  Every now and then I mention that I have a SGI
machine at the house and people ask me how I was ever able to afford it.

There's a misconception that SGIs are only affordable for the rich, and
those with big-movie budgets.  *That* might be why the Indys still command
higher prices.  The O2 just *looks* like it should be expensive - even the
ones that are essentially Indys in fancy clothes.

Of course, that's all conjecture...

Kurt