[rescue] Re: Biggest Drive usable in SS5?

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 14:12:20 CDT 2001

BSD Bob wrote:

> Well, if there is no X and no Mozilla and no gaudy addins, you
> gotta be handling a lot of mail or newsfeed to fill up a 1 gig
> drive.

It only takes one person to abuse your server to fill it up.  As I found
to my cost when someone started using my leafnode news server for getting
at some ... interesting ... gropus.

I'd been a good boy and tweaked the packet filtering to disallow any
connections to the server from anything other than my own network,
installed it, and everything was Doing The Right Thing.  A couple of
weeks later I rebooted to use a new kernel, and a few days later, some
Estonian student had filled my disk with ... wait for it ...
alt.binaries.pictures.female.bodyhair!

Yes, I'd forgotten to put the new packet filter rule into the startup
scripts.  I won't be making *that* mistake again.

             If a job's worth doing, it's worth dieing for