[rescue] Re: Biggest Drive usable in SS5?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 13:58:56 CDT 2001

> BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak, reeling from the shock, managed on Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:21:22AM -0500 to scrawl:

Garwsch!  With an intro like that it sounds like I am frothing at the mouth
whilst rabidly slobbering betwixt the keys of a sun3/160 and then reaching
for the quill pen to scrawl herewith:         (:+}}...   Oh, well it is
                                                         Thursday....

> > Good rescue.
>
> Thanks. The price was right, and I'd been itching to have something
> other than PeeCee hardware to play with.

Ahhh, he seeth yon light, amidst the PeeCee hazards.....

> Now I'm hooked on both NetBSD and Sun equipment. Sigh.

Well, that is a fine way to go.  You won't regret it.

> I want space for content. I get worried that my MP3 cache here at
> werk will get found :)

OK, then find a couple 2 giggers and slide them in, and then find an
external dual box and slide in two more.  That should give you plenty of
play space.  The first rule of computing is.... ``Find more disk space!''

> 1 Gig won't do it.  Plus, I get warning from Mailman that one of it's DB
> files is corrupt, so I don't trust the disk I have in it.

Well rescue a VAX and use it as a low-level formatter, or find another
suncrate to throw on the bench for such purpose.  I keep an LX handy
with Sol8 when the VAX won't do it.  I find that 3 passes on the VAX
formatter will clean up most drives that seem problematic.  Alas, the
VAX can't handle some larger modern drives, and for that the sun format
will have to do.  If the drive is not cleaned up after 3 passes, it
really is a doorstop.

> > Why would you need mozilla on a web/mail server?
>
>  No Mozilla.  No need for Mozilla if there is no X.
>  No need for X if there's no framebuffer or monitor.
>  This box is strictly headless. SSH for normal operation,
>  Null-Modem cable for disaster recovery. (Thankfully
>  not needed recently...fingers crossed.)

Well, if there is no X and no Mozilla and no gaudy addins, you
gotta be handling a lot of mail or newsfeed to fill up a 1 gig
drive.  I run a 2 gig drive on this little LX, and it is mostly
empty space, except for when I am downloading a current NetBSD
suite to run off an iso.  My web content is only a couple hundred
megs.  It could also be that you have a lot of ram installed and
an ambitious swap partition, too.  In that case, mount more rolling
stock, internally or externally.  If you fine one, a DEC storageworks
shelf makes great external drive fodder.  They can hold 7 drives,
and that makes for some good play space.

But, anyway....  sounds like you are on the right track, and
for sure have fun with your new Suntoy.....(:+}}...

Bob