[rescue] NeXT DSPs

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 12:35:02 CDT 2001

>Anybody know what the odd simm slot over the DSP in my NeXT cube is?
>If its the DSP ram, I'm SOL because my slot is empty.  How much work
>can I do with it?  I'd like to make it into *perhaps* an MP3/Ogg
>Vorbis player for the house.  Is this possible with the processor
>power in a non turbo cube (utilizing both the 25/50mhz 68040 and the
>50mhz DSP)?  Am I insane for attempting this?  If not who wants to
>help me?
>
>daniel

no chance.  The DSP is a pain to program and won't have the resolution you
want.  The 040 isn't fast enough either.

I have an older 040 Mac I would like to use as a digital sound system for a
room in my house.  What I may do is to use the local disk as a buffer -
choose the songs I want to hear from the server, then convert from mp3 to a
sound format like AIFF or WAV or AU which the CPU can handle.

Then just zap whatever sound files you don't want when the disk is full.
Since each song will be maybe 30 megabytes at that point.

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net