[rescue] nuking from orbit

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 22:20:13 CDT 2001

>You see, it's something like this...  if a residual image remains after you
>place data on the disk, then a residual image remains after each of the 9
>bit-stepped test patterns I write over the disk.  Sooo, is each residual
>image weaker than the one before, allowing "layered" reconstruction of the
>data?  No.  The residual left from the 420 Megs of pr0n I fill the disk with
>before it leaves will be the last and therefore the strongest after-image
>left on the disk.  Try to tell John Voight from Christopher Walken through a
>picture of Anna Kournikova's backside.

Your error is in assuming that the bits that will be changed will be
exactly the same.

Do you think that just one or two molecules is enough for the head to pick
up the bit?  No, there are many many molecules that are charged, even with
today's high bit densities.

Do you think that the head, as it is flying over the surface, stays in
EXACTLY EXACTLY the same location each time?  No, it does vary, by a small
amount to be sure, but enough to figure out what is going on.

Do you think that you are dealing with an entirely digital process when
dealing with a hard drive?  No, you are not.  Not every molecule is charged
in the area of a particular bit.

Just some things to think about.

ObRescue:  I bought an SGI Indigo2 R10K-195MHz, 1MB L2 cache, Solid Impact
graphics, 128MB RAM/4GB 7200 RPM drive today, from Ebay.  $359 with
shipping, including keyboard and mouse.  The prices on SGIs have really
cratered recently.

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo