[rescue] Advice on 10/100 switches

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 03:59:51 CDT 2001

Hey rescuers,

I'm looking for advice on a used 16 - 24 port 10/100 UTP switch for my
rescue network, features I'd like:
- blinkenlights
- rackmountable
- SNMP manageable
- VLAN-able
- expandable if I ever rescued something with FDDI or ATM
- respectable brand

I've currently got a couple of kalpana 15 port jobbies and a few synoptics
2803's but I'd like to rationalise the rack space and be able to go faster
than 10Mb.

I've been bidding on cisco 2924s on ebay but the prices seem to be a bit
high for what I can really afford.  I've found some cheap cat5000's locally
but I've had problems with them and hme interfaces in the past.

I need advice on what other brands/models are good.  The baystack 350's
seem a bit more affordable, the 3Com superstacks even more so, but I have
zero clue about how good they are or if there are any issues with any of
the systems/NICs I have or may rescue.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

Rob.