[rescue] OT: Shiva LanRover/8E Questions

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 01:26:46 CDT 2001

NM> More like one big question, really. How do I get it to work!

A question a lot of us asked about these when we were working with
them. ;-)

NM> I made the mistake of pin-resetting it before I tried every admin program
NM> on it, assuming that there was a password on it. Now, when I try to

Oops!

NM> download new firmware into it, it goes part of the way and then hangs.
NM> No response from the serial ports, and none of them are marked as a
NM> "console" port. The only visible indications are that the Power and Port 2
NM> LED's are solid green and the Ethernet LED is flashing green (after the
NM> rotating amber lights before the download starts). Anyone have any
NM> experience with this?

It's trying to netboot from a tftp server.  Check out Intel's site
http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=495
for some downloads that might help.  IIRC they should have a complete
reset/reload procedure to follow.  I've experienced the symptoms
you're describing and know there's a step missing or something
special needed - it's just been a while since I worked with those.
I _think_ you need to have the tftp server running, do a hard (pin)
reset on it, and then it should download the OS from the tftp server.

NM> And it's not that far off-topic, as I am hoping to get it working as a
NM> terminal server to access a short stack of Sun's.

Shouldn't be hard if it has just the serial ports in it and not the
modem boards.  The ideal would be one modem board that did PPP at V.90
speeds and a SSH program like TeraTerm and straight serial/console ports on
the other 7 slots.  I'm just not sure if the 8/E will properly support
SSH or not.  Like I said, I haven't touched one in a while.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc