[rescue] 670MP funzies....

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 14:18:41 CDT 2001

> Heh ... I was like, "Don't know why you want 'em, but here you go!".

Hey, Dan, or anyone on the list.  I was playing around with the 670
last night doing some gnustuff compiles and my usual round of system
addins over a stock install, and I noticed that the pair of processors
on an SM100 board under SunOS-4.1.3U1 seemed to do rather well at compiles,
significantly faster than the SS4 kind of thing I am used to.  IFF you
or anyone around has a spare CY605 Ross SM100 processor about, I would
like to try throwing 4 processors at it and see if it does anything.
That is the least of the fancy processors.....(:+}}....  But, I was
rather intrigued by how well the silly thing ran.  Before anyone throws
one of those SM100 things into the bitbucketjunque box, pass one my way
for some simple benchmarking.

> Still looking for the SM520 to go with the 521 you sent me. Damn, they're
> rare.
>
> > If I get up the energy later I'll swap in a couple of sm71's and let
> > you know.

How hot do these biggie processors get.  Can the 670 crate handle that
load, air-wise, sufficiently well to reliably run the biggie cpus?
The mbus cpu chart has a looming note that suggests they can get overly
hot in certain boxes.  Can anyone clarify just how hot is too hot in
the 670 chassis?  It looks like the big Ross things are out, and
possibly even some of the lesser hypersparcs, if I am reading things
right.  Anyone have any horror stories about overheating with these things?

Thanks

Bob