[rescue] 386BSD

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 10:21:28 CDT 2001

>  > while on the subject of terminals... my vt240 has the same style of
>>  monitor connector as my vax3100  can I use the same monitor on both?
>>  Or the cable that adapts 3100s to 3bnc, will that work on my vt240?
>>
>>  daniel
>
>Monitors and Terminals are two completely different things.  Monitors hook
>directly to your frame buffer (video card) and are driven by
>such.  Terminals connect (usually) to a serial port of some sort (MMJ,
>DB25, DB9, etc).
>Now the best way IMHO to get your 3100 running is to use a terminal and
>connect it to your vax.  It should connect to an MMJ jack on the back of
>the 3100 than can be used for a printer or serial console.  In most cases
>there is a small switch right next to the MMJ jack that you can switch
>between the two, however on some models you have to crack open the case to
>get at it.  Set the switch in the down position (if I am wrong someone
>please correct me as I dont have my vax sitting here to check on) and hook
>an MMJ cable between that MMJ port on the Vax and an MMJ or db? on your
>terminal.  Set the terminal to 9600/8n1 and power on the vax.  If all goes
>well, in a couple seconds you'll see the vaxes diagnostic test codes
>rolling across your terminal screen.  Have fun!

Nonono you miss the point.  The VT240 is a graphics terminal.  It has
a DB15 male plug on the back of it which looks identical to the 3100.
I've been using a shittly little 9" monitor with it but its really
bad as the alignment is out and it retraces accross the screen...
then the LK201 plugs into the back of the monitor.  I want to be able
to hook the 240 up to a better monitor but I'm unsure if it is the
same cable.

daniel