[rescue] 386BSD

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 09:28:04 CDT 2001

> while on the subject of terminals... my vt240 has the same style of
> monitor connector as my vax3100  can I use the same monitor on both?
> Or the cable that adapts 3100s to 3bnc, will that work on my vt240?
>
> daniel

Monitors and Terminals are two completely different things.  Monitors hook
directly to your frame buffer (video card) and are driven by
such.  Terminals connect (usually) to a serial port of some sort (MMJ,
DB25, DB9, etc).
Now the best way IMHO to get your 3100 running is to use a terminal and
connect it to your vax.  It should connect to an MMJ jack on the back of
the 3100 than can be used for a printer or serial console.  In most cases
there is a small switch right next to the MMJ jack that you can switch
between the two, however on some models you have to crack open the case to
get at it.  Set the switch in the down position (if I am wrong someone
please correct me as I dont have my vax sitting here to check on) and hook
an MMJ cable between that MMJ port on the Vax and an MMJ or db? on your
terminal.  Set the terminal to 9600/8n1 and power on the vax.  If all goes
well, in a couple seconds you'll see the vaxes diagnostic test codes
rolling across your terminal screen.  Have fun!

-Linc.

--
 10:18am  up 15 days,  3:42,  5 users,  load average: 1.92, 1.71, 1.65