[rescue] 386BSD

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 10:19:42 CDT 2001

> While going thru some old cdroms I have hanging around here I found a
> disc from march 1993 that has 386BSD v0.1 on it. I then dug out an old
> laptop I've had sitting around here (a 50mhz 486  w/4m ram, 200m hd) and
> proceeded to spend around 2 hours (well, that included digging out the
> laptop) and 10 floppies installing it on the laptop! I was only able to
> install the bin files, as I had planned on installing the rest of the
> files via either nfs, or ftp, but the linksys pcmcia network card I have
> apparently isn't supported, so no luck there.
>
> I can't believe I just did this. I must really need to get a real job,
> or something. (or maybe I should just get a life?)

The old 386BSD is quite fun.  On a 486/66 class machine, it runs like
greased lightning.  It reminds one of how much bloat has set in over
the years.

It is time well spent, relaxing on a machine rather than stoking it
to keep the herd at bay.  Call it laid back retrocomputing....

The minnie archives (minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au) has both the 0.0 and the
0.1 versions as well as the patchkits, if anyone is interested.
Another good light and dainty suite is FreeBSD-1.1.5.1, the last of
the encumbered ditties.

Have fun, retrorescuing.....(:+}}...

What else ya gonna do wid a 4 meg ram thingy?

Bob