Garlic (WAS [rescue] Re: geek vehicles)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 10:15:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:04:34AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> A Polish friend introduced me to garlic sandwiches (he implied it was a
> Polish thing and since Poland is near Transylvania I might believe it).

heh.

> Take a slice of bread and slather real butter all over it (completly
> covering it).
> Place a 1/4 inch layer of fresh chopped garlic on the bread, letting garlic
> juice soak the bread.
> Place 2 or 3 tomato slices on the thing.
> Optional: Cover with another buttered slice of bread.

oh, i'm going to have to go try that.  that sounds amazingly good.

> Hold nose and bite, fight tears, swallow quickly.

you obviously don't eat enough garlic. :)

> They actually are quite tasty and it works better than any nasal
> decongestant.

i will go try that.  have been eating tomato sandwiches for years, never
thought to put garlic on them though.

> He also introduced me to a sandwich made by soaking bread in hot bacon fat
> and salting until white. They are good too and he claimed he learned the
> recipe from when his Polish postwar refuge family lived in Siberia and ate
> like Russians. This sandwich is best enjoyed with a full box (yes, box) of
> cheap red wine. I don't eat these now because I'm vegetarian, but they were
> a staple on cold February days. Something about the bacon fat makes that
> much salt taste good.

am i the only one if the room that is amazed that people who eat stuff like
this can live past the age of 15?  jeeze, talk about killer food.

-brian