[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 09:11:23 CDT 2001

Ayah...
Pushing air is the job at hand with a truck. Both trucks push about the same
amount of air.

Load em up and you will see the difference. Whenever an engine works as hard
as it can it will suck fuel. The 454 will almost always get the same
mileage, but the small block will see a difference with a max load. This I
leaned from driving tow trucks for about 10 years.

Now,, a six cylinder 1/2 ton will do way better on fuel. I had a 77 Ford
F150 1/2 ton with the venerable 300ci six that gave me 340K miles and was
going strong when I sold it. It reliably delivered 18mpg hiway and 14mpg
town driving.

btw... duallies will suck monster fuel. Don't know why, but they do. Expect
10mpg with duallie truck, loaded or unloaded.

Bummer, I miss tow trucks. That was fun (esp. since we had the state and
local police contracts).

 Plus his truck gets only marginally better fule