[rescue] Units (was Re: geek vehicles)

Peter Joules rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 21:47:57 CDT 2001

On Sunday 26 August 2001 10:54, you wrote:

> People who use the term Metre for Meter really get my goat.
>
> Metre - 1. n. a device used to measure, 2. v. the act of measuring.  Common
> spelling in English speaking countries east of the Atlantic Ocean.
>
> Meter - 1. n. A Metric unit of measure, three feet three and three-eighths
> inches long.
>
> Continentals...  Hmmph.

I hate to contradict but from your reference to the east of the Atlantic I
assume you include the uk.  If so then, from the Oxford English Dictionary:

Meter: (n) an isntrument for recording...
Metre: (n) any form of poetic rhythm...
Metre: (n) the base unit of length...

Or are you saying that, in the USA, you use 'metre' as defined in (1) above?

--
Regards
Pete