[rescue] Re: geek vehicles (HTTP requests)

Dann S. Washko rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 13:28:29 CDT 2001

>From my understanding of how it works, if there is no trailing / then
apache will first deliever a file if there is one of said name then it
will fall back to whatever you specified under DirectoryIndex in the
httpd.conf so long as there is a directory with the name supplied in the
url.  It will deliever the first instance supplied after DirectoryIndex if
you listed more than one.  For instance:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm Index.htm

will look for index.php first and if it is not there go on to index.html
and so on.  If you have both index.php and index.html in the directory,
then index.php will be delievered first.

If you supply the trailing /, even if there is a file of said name in the
current directory, apache will look for a directory of the given name and
search for whatever is specified in DirectoryIndex.  Failing to find said
files will produce the message that the requested url cannot be found.  At
least this is how it always worked for me.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:01:41 -0400
Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 12:54:54PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > the final /  indicates to Apache (and others?) that you are attempting
> > open a directory, not a file, and the server will look for a default
page
> > (typ. something like index.html) to display. Without the trailing
slash, the
> > request is assumed to be for a file, and the process works correctly.
>
> hmmmmm.
>
> > What the HTTP standard says, I am not sue, nor can I speak to the
operation
> > of other HTTP servers...
>
> so anyone know what the "proper" solution is?  should i just rewite all
my
> pages to use a trailing / and only give out URLs with a trailing / or
can i
> get apache to handle both?
>
> thanks,
>
> -brian