[rescue] Re: Re: Quick EXB-210 questions

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 06:55:10 CDT 2001

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Michael S. Schiller wrote:

> You bring up a good point! Just the other day I was trying to explain to my 14
> year old daughter what 'records' and 'albums' are! All she knows about are CDs
> and tapes.

I should dig out my wire recorder.  I'm sure my 5 year old son will be
totally baffled.  :)

> On the subject of tape reliability, I have a 150mb tape drive that I've had for
> about 10 years, currently its installed in my SC2000 but I originally got it
> with an Amiga A3000UX, and I even have a couple of tapes from back then that
> are still holding their data. I had a version of tar for AmigaDOS, and he Sun
> version of tar (and gnutar) can both read the tape.

QIC-150?  They just go and go and go.  A friend of mine literally had a
box of QIC tapes fall out of a 4th story window onto pavement.  After
filing down some of the areas where the aluminum backing had bent a bit,
all read fine on the drive.

> I've got both an exb8500 and 8505xl in my SC2000, anyone know of anything the
> 8500 can do/read that the 8505xl can't? I want to replace the 8500 with a 4mm
> autoloader, it makes more sense to have that and the 8505 than just 2 8mm units
> in the machine.

The 8500 can use up that annoying stack of cleaning tapes faster.  Other
than that, no additional features.  :)

-James

--
James Lockwood