[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 23:21:44 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 12:11:29AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > http://www.arkham.ws/~wonko/images/alfa
> When I try to look it tells me that zaphod.arkham.ws can not be found.

GOD DAMMIT.  why can't i figure out what the hell is wrong.

ok, here's the deal.  a LONG time ago (months i think) i accidentally screwed
up my DNS so that i had my private RFC1918 DNS server hooked up to the outside
so that people would get zaphod.arkham.ws (which is 172.16.1.3 by the way)
instead of kame.arkham.ws (which is 216.158.63.60 btw) when they went to www
since www is just an alias depending which side of the firewall you are on.

it was very quickyl spotted (like, immediately after i did it) and so i got it
fixed.  well, it still doesn't seem right for some reason.  i can't track it
down.  but i think something is stuck in cache somewhere.  you are the second
person to complain about this.  flush any dns caches you may have.  if that
doesn't solve it, then it's upstream of you somewhere.

if that doesn't work, just use kame.arkham.ws instead, but try and see if you
can track down where it's getting it's name resolution from so i can try to
get this fixed.

-brian