[rescue] Dec PWS 500a

Brian Harrington rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 23:05:58 CDT 2001

--On Saturday, August 25, 2001 12:05 AM -0500 Bill Bradford
<mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Just like "any OS other than IRIX" on the Indigo R3000s - we had a TON of
> them at COMCO that I would have LOVED to put NetBSD on and used for
> something  good - but all we had was IRIX 5.3 and I retired any machines
> running that as soon as possible.  (this was '98, and they still had some
> machines running IRIX 4.x!!!)

I've just discovered that Plan9 should run on R3K Indigos.  I'll probably
try to get that going on one of mine soon.  And I still have a machine
running 4.05F.  It was a production web server until this spring, and is
still doing gopher until I finally get approval to kill it.  Sure, it
doesn't know what day it is, but that's a relatively trivial problem.

And what do you have against IRIX 5.3?  It's not as nice and slim as 4.05,
primarily because of the objectserver goofiness, but it beats 6.X and the
dueling ABIs, not to mention 6.5's nsd weirdness.

                        -- Brian

--
Brian Harrington
Milton S. Eisenhower Library