[rescue] Re: Cray EL-98 Supercomputer - 2 units on Ebay

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 14:58:40 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 02:56:24PM -0400, Mike Dombrowski wrote:
> I see my purpose in life. These are mere 10s of miles from me. I have a
> basement. And desire. I think he's a bit off his rocker WRT pricing,
> anybody know what a fair price for these things would be? I'm gonna see
> if I can get an appointment to see these. I wonder if offering him
> something like $2000 and immediate removal would work. Oooh. And I
> wonder if I could sell off the 2nd machine.

I think that it is probably a fair price.  Keep in mind that it has an OS,
which would cost you a stinking fortune to purchase seperate from the
machine.  Also, the J90s that go for these prices tend to need significant
amounts of other parts (plus then an OS) to get them going.

Then, there is the fact that there are two of them...

However, one can always try offering a different price.  I certainly can't
afford to buy them at what he is currently charging.

--
Joshua D. Boyd