[rescue] Dec PWS 500a

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 00:21:11 CDT 2001

>On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:03:24AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>   It will likely *never* support the cool video hardware, though...not
>> enough documentation available.
>
>When I inquired, I always got the response "Not enough documentation to do a
>port". 8-(

I guess I am a little confused here.  The X11 and GL protocols are well
defined interfaces.

Simply running the X server under binary compatibility would work.

Case in point:  the xig.com server was never ported to OpenBSD but many
folks got it running under FreeBSD or NetBSD emulation.  You could even run
it under Linux emulation on FreeBSD.

The problem is probably due more to lack of manpower - there are just so
many people with both the skills and the hardware who want to do it.

./patrick