[rescue] A question of mousing. =)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 22:34:39 CDT 2001

Teresa--
Others have already asked the obvious questions--
like "do you have a mouse pad for that optical
mouse" (since it requires one, unlike the current
Microsoft optical mice that work just fine on
desk, denim, or magazine covers).  Even if you
do have a mouse pad, though, it might be either
the wrong one or misaligned.  You get weird
results if you try to turn a type 4 or type 5
mouse pad by 90 degrees, so make sure that any
pad you have has the long axis in the horizontal
direction.  Also, there are different pads for
type 4 optical mice and type 5 optical mice.

If you can describe the optical mouse you have
by visual examination of the top and part number
info off the bottom, we can probably help more.
As a quick summary, though, if the buttons are
grey then it's probably a type 5.  If the buttons
are white or whitish-yellow, then it's probably
a type 4.  The differences between the type 4 and
type 5 mouse pads aren't easy to see except in
comparison--the type 5 uses a much more closely-
spaced grid.

Hope this helps and feel free to drop me a line
with more questions--I'll summarize to the list
if we find anything interesting.

  --Rip