[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 15:06:14 CDT 2001

> david at cantrell.org.uk said:
> Seriously, the electrical systems seem to give American
> owners nothing but
> trouble.  I don't know why, but you're not the first UK owner
> who has told me
> that they have never had trouble.

The old e-types I played with all had electrical problems. But the cause was
always obvious... salt! Corrosion from a water/salt environment caused by
the U.S. habit of applying chloride compounds to the roads during the winter
months. American electricals use a high Beryllium (spelling) content in
copper contacts and connectors. British motor cars seem to use pure copper.
Also U.S. connectors use a firm housing that limits vibration and water
entry where brits were often naked spade lugs and screws.

Do brits not use chlorides to melt ice?