[rescue] BEAUTIFUL rescue!!!

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 00:22:51 CDT 2001

I dont think Michael will mind me forwarding this.  BEAUTIFUL rescue
of a DECsystem 1090 by him, Carl Friend (the guy who inspired me to
get into collecting), and some other folks at RCS/RI:

----
(from m_thompson at ids.net)

It was de-installed by DEC in 1994 after it passed a full set of
diagnostics. It has been in a climate controlled computer room for the last
7 years. Not a bit of dust on anything. We got the TOPS-10 install tapes,
OS updates, DECtapes that boot the 11/40 front end and load microcode,
three 11/34 front ends, and a generic MASSbus parallel port device. We also
got a LP29, LA120, manuals, note books, documentation, prints, sales
brochures...

All day people showed up, dropped off souveners from the machine, and told
us what they did on the machine. There was a large gathering at the truck
when we left.

You don't get that when a PC goes in the dumpster.

>> We picked up a complete DEC 1090 at Sikorsky yesterday. 14,000 pounds of
>> equipment!
>> http://starfish.rcsri.org/rcs/DECsystem/1090/DECsystem-1090.html
----

All I can say is, "wow".  I'd LOVE to see pictures of this machine in
operation once they've got it set up.  I dont think you could get much
better than this.  Stored since '94 in a HEPA-filtered room.  Wow.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net