[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 17:04:31 CDT 2001

On August 23, Neil McNeight wrote:
> It does. The SIMM's looked pretty standard (apparently, anything other
> than the /300* takes some funky 100-pin SIMM's...), so I'm now firmly
> believing that these are some variant of /300.

  Sounds like it.

> Do you (or anyone else) happen to know of some good documentation sites
> for the DEC 3000? NetBSD says that you can run them headless, but then
> says "See your owner's manual for information on how to configure your
> system to use a serial console."  Bah!

  Hit ftp.neurotica.com and grab /pub/misc/mcneight/ek-d3sys-pm.ps.gz.
It more low-level programming docs than hardware information, but it
might be helpful.

  The 3000/300 has an onboard framebuffer.  If memory serves, it will
use a serial console if it doesn't see a keyboard.  Listen for three
tones a minute or so after powerup; they sound like the first three
tones of the "Close Encounters" riff.  Shortly thereafter it should
display its powerup banner.

   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire